Sexual Assault Awareness Month takes place each year in April to raise awareness about sexual violence and educate communities on how to prevent it.
Sexual Assault Awareness Month offers an opportunity to shine a light on the prevalence of sexual assault and harassment, not only in Wisconsin but in the nation as a whole. By raising awareness, we aim to end sexual violence and offer resources, support, and advocacy to survivors.
By Your Side encourages organizations and individuals to take positive action during Sexual Assault Awareness Month, April 2019. Join coalitions around the country as we work together to bring attention to these issues.
There are actions organizations and individuals can take to help raise awareness and offer support.
Ideas on how Individuals can participate in Sexual Assault Awareness Month:
- Attend an awareness event in your area
- Spread the word on social media using free By Your Side Sexual Assault Awareness Month materials found on the online ordering portal
- Start an online conversation about sexual violence using hashtags such as #SAAM, #ByYourSideWI, #believesurvivors, and tag @WCASA on Facebook or @WCASA_org on Twitter
- Send a letter to the editor of your local newspaper (2017 sample letter found here)
- Wear teal, the color of sexual assault awareness, on April 2nd, 2019 on the Sexual Assault Awareness Month Day of Action
- Participate in the #30DaysofSAAM Instagram contest
- If a friend reaches out, offer a listening ear.
Sexual Assault Awareness Month Resources for Organizations:
- Print, distribute, post By Your Side – Sexual Assault Awareness Month education and awareness materials available at no charge via the online ordering portal
- Use the Sexual Assault Awareness Month event poster and fill it out with your event information
- Use the Sexual Assault Awareness Month graphics and suggested social media posts on social platforms
- Register your event with the National Sexual Violence Resource Center here
- Access National Sexual Violence Resource Center SAAM materials here